About the Gauteng Office of Consumer Affairs
The office was established in terms of the Consumer Affairs (Unfair Business Practice) Act 7 of 1996 to protect and promote consumer rights.
Functions of the Office:
- To receive, investigate and dispose of cases of alleged unfair business practices.
- To initiate investigations even if no cases were lodged and publish the findings in the provincial gazette.
- To advise consumers on consumer related issues.
- To perform any functions assigned to it under the Consumer Affairs Act no. 7of 1996.
Tel: 011 355 8006/8292/8245/8000
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org/ email@example.com
56 Eloff Street
How to Complain
A complaint may be lodged in the following ways:
a. Contact the seller or supplier
First complain where you purchased goods and services. Keep a record of your conversation of who you spoke with, when and the action promised. You can also contact the supplier or manufacturer of the goods and services. They may be grateful that you complained. It also assists in identifying problems that are bad for business.
b. Complaining to the Gauteng Office of Consumer Affairs
- You may call the Gauteng contact centre on 08600 11000 and select option 4 or you may lodge your complaint via email on firstname.lastname@example.org. A complaint should be in writing, brief but detailed. All consumer complaints lodged with the office are dealt with free of charge.
- Visiting the office or various regional offices
A complaint should include the following information:
- Particulars of the complainant and the respondent (e.g. seller, supplier of goods/ services), their contact details and addresses.
- Copies of all relevant documentation (receipts, contracts etc.).
- Relief sought by the complainant (what you would like the office to do for you).